S’mores Cookies have a caramelized graham cracker base, are filled with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips, and then topped with a square of Hershey’s chocolate. Trust me, you’ll definitely want “some more!”Jump to Recipe
Deliciously easy S’more Cookies
Everybody loves smores, but I absolutely hate how messy they are to make and eat. That’s the beauty of a smores cookie! They’re much easier to eat, but just as delicious. Plus, I love that this gives you a way to serve smores at indoor parties all year long.
Why are they called S’mores?
The word s’more comes from the phrase “some more,” as in “I want some more cookies!” And trust me, this definitely applies to these cookies.
S’mores Cookie ingredients
- Salted Butter (softened) – I always prefer salted butter, but if you only have unsalted, just add an extra pinch of salt to the dough. You can also substitute margarine if needed, but just know that the cookies may spread more than usual and be slightly greasy.
- Granulated Sugar – This recipe uses equal parts granulated sugar and brown sugar to help the cookies spread while having a crispy outside and gooey inside.
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract – This is my favorite vanilla extract.
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda – Baking soda also helps cookies spread while baking and gives them a beautiful golden color.
- Chocolate Chips – Use your favorite chocolate chips, or go all in on the s’mores theme and chop up a Hershey’s bar.
- Mini Marshmallows – Yes, these go in the cookie to give you the full s’mores experience!
- Graham Cracker Squares – I prefer the box of graham crackers that are already in squares so I don’t have to worry about breaking each cracker perfectly. However, you can definitely use regular, full size graham crackers and just break them in half.
- Melted Butter – We are going to dip the graham crackers in butter before baking to create magic.
- Hershey’s Chocolate Squares – These just go on top of the cookies to make them look extra cute!
Which marshmallows are best for S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies?
The best marshmallows for S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies are miniature marshmallows. These smaller marshmallows distribute more evenly throughout the cookie dough, ensuring each bite has a delightful combination of marshmallow, chocolate, and cookie goodness.
Variations of S’mores Cookies
S’mores Cookies offer room for creativity. You can experiment with different add-ins and variations to make these cookies uniquely yours. Consider using flavored chocolate chips, swapping out the graham crackers for a different type of cookie, or adding a drizzle of caramel for an extra layer of indulgence.
How to make S’mores Cookies
- Begin by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light in color and fluffy in texture. This will take a few minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all ingredients are added in the mixture, then mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Once completely mixed, stop the mixer then add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix thoroughly until combined.
- Once the dry ingredients are mixed in, add the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows and mix until evenly distributed throughout the dough. Set the dough aside.
- Take your graham cracker squares and dip each cracker into the melted butter, then place them evenly on your prepared baking sheet. The butter on the graham cracker will caramelize in the oven, giving them an almost toffee-like taste.
- Scoop about 3 tbsp of dough out of the bowl and roll it into a ball. Flatten the ball just slightly while making sure to keep the marshmallows on the inside of the cookie, otherwise the marshmallows will melt and fall out of the dough while baking.
- Place the cookie dough ball on top of a butter-coated graham cracker square. Repeat with the rest of the dough and graham cracker squares.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for about 9-11 minutes, or until they have spread and turned golden brown.
- After baking, allow the cookies to cool directly on the pan for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, place a Hershey’s square on the top of each cookie, then allow the cookies to finish cooling completely.
Tips to making Smores Cookies
If your cookies are spreading too much while baking, double check that your oven is set to the correct temperature (375°F for this recipe). With the temperature too low, these cookies will spread for daaayyyyss. If the temperature is correct, add about 1/4 cup of flour to the dough. Most likely, climate and elevation are affecting the liquid and humidity in your cookies, so the extra flour should fix this.
How to store this S’mores Cookie Recipe
To keep your S’mores Cookies fresh and delightful, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Adding a slice of bread to the container can help maintain moisture and prevent the cookies from becoming overly dry.
How to freeze S’mores Cookie Dough
Freezing S’mores cookie dough allows you to have freshly baked cookies whenever you desire. To freeze the dough, scoop individual cookie portions onto a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer the cookie dough portions to a resealable plastic bag, removing excess air. When ready to bake, you can place the frozen cookie dough portions directly onto a baking sheet and bake as usual. Just slightly extend the baking time to ensure they cook through. This method lets you enjoy warm S’mores Cookies with minimal effort.
Recipes Similar to S’mores Cookies
S’mores Cookie Recipe
- 3/4 cup (167g) salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup (115g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (131g) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (304g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups (400g) chocolate chips
- 2 cups (128g) mini marshmallows
- 12 square graham crackers
- 1/3 cup (67g) melted butter
- 12 Hershey's chocolate squares
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer, cream together the 3/4 cup butter and both sugars until smooth, light in color and fluffy. This will take a few minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Once completely combined, stop the mixer and add in the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.Once the dry ingredients are mixed in, add in the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Mix until thoroughly distributed. Set aside.
- Dip each of the square graham cracker into the melted butter and then arrange on a parchment paper or silicone lined cookie sheet.
- Scoop 3 tbsp of dough out and roll into a ball. Flatten slightly and place on top of the butter dipped graham crackers. Try to keep the marshmallows on the inside of the cookie, or they will melt and fall out of the dough.
- Bake at 375° F (190° C) for 9-11 minutes or until the cookies have spread and have turned golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes and then place a Hershey's chocolate square in the center of the cookie.
- Finish completely cooling the cookies on the pan. Enjoy!