Brownie Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfect for when you want to make cookies, but may be missing a few dry ingredients that you would usually need. That’s where the boxed brownie mix comes to play!Jump to Recipe
You will love these Brownie Chocolate Chip Cookies
Not only does using boxed brownie mix for cookies take a few less ingredients, these cookies are also super chocolatey and fudgey, which is just how I like it! You can use whatever boxed brownie mix you have on hand, just keep an eye out for a few brand-specific tips & tricks throughout the recipe.
What you’ll need for these Brownie Mix Cookies
- 18 oz Box Brownie Mix – Use your favorite kind! Note that each type of brownie mix is a little different. For example, if you use Ghiradelli brownie mix, you won’t need to add milk to the dough. However, if you’re using Betty Crocker (that’s what I used in these photos), you will want to add a bit of milk to the dough.
- Melted Butter – I always prefer salted butter for my recipes.
- All Purpose Flour
- Milk – Milk is used to help the cookies spread, if needed. This depends on the brownie mix used and how soft the dough is before baking.
- Chocolate Chips – Use your favorite chocolate chips such as milk, dark, white, semi sweet, or even peanut butter chips!
How to make Cookies from Brownie Mix
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350° F.
- Prepare your baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric hand mixer, mix together the brownie mix, melted butter, egg, and flour until a soft dough forms.
- If your dough is pretty stiff (this often happens with Betty Crocker brownie mix), mix in about 1 tbsp of milk to soften the dough a bit so that your cookies spread correctly in the oven.
- If the dough is already soft (this is often the case with Ghiradelli brownie mix), you can skip step number 4.
- Now mix in your favorite chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, portion the cookie dough into equal size balls on your prepared cookie sheet.
- For small cookies, use about 1 1/2 tbsp of dough. For medium cookies, use about 3 tbsp of dough.
- Place the cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 8-11 minutes, or until the tops are no longer glossy.
- After removing from the oven, allow the cookies to cool directly on the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
How do I know if I should add milk to the dough?
For this recipe, I usually like to bake one cookie first to gauge if I need to add milk to the dough or not. If the one cookie spreads fine, then go ahead and bake the rest of your cookies. If the one cookie stays in a ball and does not spread like usual, add a bit of milk to the remaining dough, then scoop them all up and bake.
Brownie Mix Cookies Recipe storage
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. However, I always think cookies taste best on the same day they are baked!
Can I freeze Cookies from Brownie Mix?
Yes, these cookies freeze very well! In an airtight container, they will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat one, reheat your cookie in the microwave for a few seconds and it will taste fresh out of the oven!
Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies FAQs
Brownie batter is typically smoother with a more liquid consistency while cookie dough is thicker with more flour – allowing it to hold its shape better and be formed into cookies.
Recipes similar to this Brownie Mix Cookie Recipe
Brownie Mix Cookies Recipe
- 1 18 oz box favorite brownie mix
- 1/2 cup (111g) salted butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (76g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp milk *if needed
- 1 cup (200g) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180°C).
- Mix together the brownie mix, melted butter, egg and flour.
- The dough should be quite soft, if your dough is pretty stiff, mix in 1 tbsp of milk or else your cookies will not spread at all. If your dough is soft, you can omit the milk.
- Mix in your chocolate chips.Scoop into equal sized balls and arrange on a cookie sheet.
- For small cookies, use 1 1/2 tbsp of dough (#50 scoops). For medium sized cookies, use 3 tbsp of dough.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 8-11 minutes or until the tops are no longer glossy.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.