M&M Cookies are always a crowd favorite! One thing I love about this recipe is that it’s very simple, but adding M&Ms really takes the cookies to the next level.Jump to Recipe
M&M Cookie Recipe
I also love how fun and festive M and M Cookies are! You can make these cookies work for any holiday by customizing the color of the M&Ms. For example, use red and green for Christmas, pink and red for Valentine’s Day, or orange and yellow for Halloween; there are so many different combinations for every holiday!
Ingredients for M&M Cookies
- Salted Butter (softened) – If you only have unsalted butter, just add an extra pinch of salt to the dough.
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- All Purpose Flour – If you want to make this recipe gluten free, you can substitute gluten free flour at a 1:1 ratio.
- Baking Soda
- M&Ms – Any plain M&Ms will work, but I prefer the mini M&Ms.
How to Make Cookies with M&Ms
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (117°C).
- Next, line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. This one is my personal favorite.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and continue to mix until thoroughly combined.
- Now add in the flour, baking soda, and salt, then continue to mix until the dough forms.
- Lastly, add in the M&Ms and mix until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Using a cookie scoop, portion out the dough into your desired cookie size. For small cookies, use 1 1/2 tbsp of dough (#50 scoop). For medium cookies, use 3 tbsp of dough. For extra large bakery sized cookies, use about 1/3 cup of dough.
- Arrange the cookie dough on your prepared baking sheet and bake until the cookies have flattened, spread, and are just beginning to turn golden brown on the edges. Don’t worry if the center still looks slightly undercooked.
- Once you remove the cookies from the oven, allow the cookies to cool directly on the pan so the center of the cookies can continue to bake.
- Store your M&M Cookies on the counter for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can you use regular M&Ms for baking?
Yes! M&Ms are a great ingredient or topping for all baked goods, such as cookies, brownies, cakes, or fudge.
How do M&Ms not melt in cookies?
M&Ms are made with a hard candy shell that protects the chocolate in the center from melting. However, during baking the candy shell might slightly crack from the heat or become more incorporated into the dough. Don’t worry, they still taste just as delicious!
How do you keep M&Ms from cracking in the oven?
If your M&Ms keep cracking or losing their shape while baking, try using mini M&Ms. These are smaller and less likely to melt, which is why they’re my favorite for this recipe. You can also try freezing your M&Ms before adding them to the dough which will also help them to retain their shape while baking.
More Drop Cookie Recipes
- 1 cup (222g) salted butter softened
- 1 cup (246g) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (343g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups (400g) plain m&ms
- Preheat your oven to 350° F (180° C). Line your cookie sheet with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until your dough comes together.
- Lastly, add in the M&M's. Mix until evenly distributed.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out your dough into your desired size. For small cookies, use 1 1/2 tbsp of dough (#50 scoop). For medium cookies use 3 tbsp of dough and for extra large, bakery sized cookies use 1/3 cup of dough.
- Arrange on your prepared pan and bake at 350° F (180° C) until the cookies have flattened, spread and are just starting to turn golden brown on the edges. For small cookies, bake 7-9 minutes. For medium cookies, bake 9-11 minutes. for large cookies, bake 11-13 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan. Doing this will help finish cooking the insides of the cookie, so it is okay if the cookie looks slightly under-baked when you pull them out of the oven.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.