I believe that cookies should taste good AND look good. Thus a guide to shape cookies without cookie cutters, so they’re pretty every time.
Your First Stop for Pretty Cookies
I know this is going to sound pompous, but I get a lot of questions on how I make my cookies look good. And lucky for you, I don’t gatekeep. Here are my top 5 ways to shape cookies without the aid of cookie cutters.
5 Ways to Shape Cookies without Cookie Cutters
- Roll into a ball (or use a cookie scoop) and flatten the cookies onto the tray. This will give you a nice cookie with pretty edges. Yep, pretty cookie edges are a thing.
- Create a design with a fork. Pretend you’re making a peanut butter cookie in the 90’s. Take the tines of a fork and press down to create a design on the top of the cookie. This is a fun way to add some texture to your cookie!
- Roll out your dough and freehand it! Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut out shapes from your dough. You’ll be surprised how good your cookies look!
- Use a template. If you’re worried about freehanding, you can print out shapes and use them as a guide. Roll out your dough, place the paper guide onto the dough and cut around it with a knife.
- Improvise with what you’ve got. If you’re really hoping for a perfectly round cookie, you can also roll out your dough and use a drinking glass or mason jar lid as a makeshift cookie cutter. It will work the exact same as a cookie cutter!
I hope this helps you level up your cookie game – I can’t wait to see what you create!